The Present Organ
In 1972 Hill, Norman and Beard used the organ from Holy Trinity Church to replace the Hope-Jones. The size of the departments leads one to think that the Hope-Jones soundboards were reused.
In Holy Trinity it was in a chancel chamber and voiced accordingly. In St Modwen’s it is on the west gallery, its sound unhindered. It is very loud, especially as heard from the east end of the church.
The Original Organ
Snetzler built an organ for St Modwen’s in 1774. Part of its case (the three centre panels), designed by the famous James Wyatt still remain; the case was extended in the nineteenth century. In 1899, following his success at St. Paul’s, Hope Jones built a 4 manual organ. This was replaced in 1972, parts now at the Lancastrian Theatre Organ Trust’s museum in Manchester.
Open Diapason 8, Stopped Diapason 8, Octave 4, Fifteenth 2, Mixture III, Posaune 8
Spitz Flute 8, Salicional 8, Principal 4, Principal 2, Mixture III, Shalmey 16, Trumpet 8, Tremulant
Gedeckt 8, Chimney Flute 4, Flute 2, Larigot, Sesquialtera II, Cymbal II, Cremona 8, Tremulant, Posaune (Great) 8
Contra Bass 16, Bourdon 16, Octave 8, Gedeckt 8, Super Octave 4, Mixture II, Trombone 16 (ext Great)