Our church has a notable sandstone font that holds historical and religious significance as the only know relic connected with the Abbey Church. It is inscribed with the date 1662, and the initials TH, TW and WM. These initials refer to the clergy who were restored to their benefices at the time – William Middleton and his two churchwardens.
It is thought that the wooden top is a later addition.
It is situated near the entrance of the church and is essential part of baptism ceremonies.
This monochrome photo shows the font in 1976, as part of recording the church’s 250th year.
Here are some closeups of the beautifully carved wooden lid of the font.